Monday 12 November 2012

Revlon Colorstay Liquid Foundation: Review and Demo


Hey everyone! I hope you’re all well! Today I’m going to be talking about the Revlon Colorstay Liquid Foundation (as the title suggests), which is an all time favorite foundation of mine! 
I am not a girl who has perfect skin. I occasionally suffer from breakouts, or get the odd blemish here and there. The worst part is that I tend to be a bit obsessive compulsive about certain things, and I can’t help but pick at my face when I do have a pimple (Don’t do this, girls!). Therefore, I also have acne scars, which are focused mainly on my cheeks. My friends often ask me what foundation I use (when I do wear foundation) that works to cover up the blemishes. My answer is always the same: Revlon Colorstay Liquid Foundation!

As you can see in the picture below, I have chosen to do this review and demo whilst I do have a few active breakouts.
This photo was taken directly after washing my face and a little while before I applied the makeup.

When applying this foundation, I tend to mix it with either my moisturizer (by Garnier) or BB Cream, also from the brand Garnier.
Garnier Moister Rescue Lightweight UV Lotion SPF 15
Garnier Skin Renew Miracle Skin Perfector BB Cream

The foundation used on its own dries quickly when applying it (as it is a very long-lasting formula, as the name suggests), and this makes it difficult to blend. This trick that I discovered allows the foundation to blend a lot more easily! I have been doing this ever since I first purchased it, which was about two years ago, and it has not failed me yet. 
*Quick tip: If you are not able to find a shade to match you in the foundation, mixing it with a moisturizer helps you to adjust the color of the foundation to suit!
I mixed equal proportions of the BB cream (above) and foundation (below) to create my perfect shade. This is the amount of product that i applied to my entire face.

The key to mixing your foundation with a moisturizer or BB cream is to ensure that the latter products do not contain a very high SPF, or it will cause the foundation to create a white cast on the skin in flash photography. The moisturizer and BB cream I use both contain an SPF of 15, but this has never been an issue for me. The Revlon foundation, of course, has no SPF, and this is why it is so photo friendly. For this reason, it is exceptionally good to wear for nights out, as it does not cause a white cast in photos and it is also extremely long lasting!
This photo was taken (with flash) after applying one layer of the foundation.

I do not recommend applying this foundation with your fingers, as it gives the best coverage when applied with a brush (in my opinion), and looks the most flawless via this method. Recently, I began experimenting with stippling brushes to apply my foundation. I have found that they work well, and create an airbrushed finish on the skin. I use a stippling brush when I don’t require as heavy a coverage, for example, on clients with flawless skin or simply on days when I don’t necessarily want a maximum coverage. 
This is the brush I used to apply the foundation in the photograph shown above.

For nights out, I prefer to use a flat foundation brush, like the one from Ecotools, as it allows me to achieve maximum coverage to hide my blemishes.
Ecotools Bamboo Foundation Brush

As you can see in the comparison photograph below, one layer of the foundation does cover quite a lot! Most of my marks are hidden, and the redness around my nose is neutralized. The dark area around my eye is also fairly brightened. The great thing about this foundation, however, is that it is build-able and layering it does not cause it become 'cakey' in any way whatsoever.


Please also note that to fully camouflage the dark circles beneath the eyes, I recommend using a concealer to do this. The foundation is meant to provide you with a fairly neutral canvas to work on, but this does not mean that it is going to cover every blemish that you may have.
I really do hope that this review is enlightening, and helps you to make an informed decision about what foundation you should purchase, or even teaches you how to use it in the case that you own it but had no idea how to apply it best until now.

10 comments:

  1. Can you tell me which color you use? It seems that we both have similar skin color and I'd like an idea so that I can go from there. Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, this is in the shade 360 Golden Caramel. This shade is a bit too dark for me, but as I explained, I mix it with some of my moisturiser and it works just fine for me! Thanks for your comment! :)

      Delete
  2. Do I conceal first or after? And its that moisteriser good to use I have dry skin and do breakout tryging new things?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I conceal after I apply foundation, as you tend to use less concealer that way as you already have coverage from the foundation, and I just find it easier. The moisturiser would be good if you have dry skin. It is of a thicker, cream consistency, and I have combination/oily skin so I prefer to mix it with my foundation as opposed to applying it on its own. And no, I typically don't break out any further when trying new things. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  3. Aww! Thanks for your comment! It is a great product! I hope you like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow it looks amazing on you.I have oily skin and i tend to sweat a lot..will this foundation withstand sweat?...also if i have oily skin is it okay to skip moisturiZer?.Im new to the makeup world.Still haven't found the perfect foundation.This review was quite helpful.Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I have oily/combination skin and this is the way I use it and it works fine for me. Just be sure to set it in place with a powder. I really like the Rimmel Stay Matte Powder! :)

      Delete
  5. Hadaasa, I recommend trying ps beauty foundation finder it helps to find the right colour so if you are in doubt give it a go xx I used it as well and it recommended 110 ivory and it's spot on:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. what shade of the Rimmel Stay Matte Powder do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Post, I current use Loreal Liquid, and as an AF AM brown woman, everyone knows when I've been in a room because my make up is everywhere!!!! To the point my boyfriend doesn't want to hug when we out, beacause I'll mess up his clothes!!! I just googled ColorStay, and found your post. This was an EXCELLENT review. Thank you so much for the Pics & details!!! xoxo...I think my life might change...lol

    ReplyDelete