Saturday 17 November 2012

e.l.f. (Eyes Lips Face) Makeup Brushes: A Review

These are all of my e.l.f. Makeup Brushes.

Hi everyone! Some of the basic tools you need when applying makeup are makeup brushes. Fingers work as well, but they may not do the job as effectively as a brush. With your fingers, steps such as working foundation into the skin, concealing the skin or even packing eye shadow onto the eye lids, can be accomplished. The only time I tend to use my fingers when doing my makeup is to pack eye shadow onto my eye lids, as I have learnt that this works best for me in order to achieve the most pigmented application. Overall, however, my preference is to let my brushes do the work!
Purchasing brushes can be an overwhelming process. Knowing where to start is probably the hardest part. For those of you who are just beginning to experiment with makeup, my recommendation to you is to start with some inexpensive, but good quality brushes, in order to determine what kind of brushes work best for you. E.l.f.’s Studio Line has some fantastic brushes that fit these criteria. Specific to face brushes, the Studio line has brushes that can be used in many unique ways. I must admit that at first, I was a bit skeptical about trying them, as they are sold at such an affordable price. However, considering the price, they are of an extremely high quality and are so unbelievably soft (as they are synthetic-haired Taklon brushes). I highly recommend them!
Over the months, I have accumulated quite a few of e.l.f.’s Studio brushes, but I will share with you some of my favorites, and the ways in which I prefer to use them. The great thing about any makeup brush is that it does not have to be used for its specified purpose, as it is a multi-functional tool.

These are some of my favorite e.l.f. Makeup Brushes.

One of my top recommendations from the e.l.f. Studio Line is their Powder brush. It is a very densely-packed, soft brush and can be used in a variety of ways. The main way in which I like to use this brush is to contour and sculpt the outer perimeter of my face. This brush is perfect for this purpose as its large, circular, flat top defines the face by applying sharp lines to the hollows of the cheekbones and other areas, but blends them at the same time. It is a must-have in any collection, in my opinion.

e.l.f. Studio Powder Brush

Another of their brushes, which again I do not use for its specified purpose, but works amazingly regardless, is the e.l.f. Studio Mineral Powder Brush. I also like to use this brush to contour my face. Its rounded, domed shape fits perfectly to contour the cheekbones and give the face a sculpted effect. It is also great for applying blush to the cheeks. As this brush is smaller, it is better for applying product more precisely to certain areas of the face, as opposed to the Powder brush, which covers a more extensive area.

e.l.f Studio Mineral Powder Brush

This next brush is great for setting areas of the face with a loose powder. I use it to set my under-eye concealer, as well as through the centre of my face (that is, the area in which I tend to get the oiliest throughout the day). This brush is the e.l.f. Studio Blush Brush. For me, it is not the best brush to apply blush with, as it does not allow you to buff the color into the cheeks, as the shape of the brush is pretty flat. I find that it is better to use a brush like this to dust a loose powder onto certain areas of the face.

e.l.f. Studio Blush Brush

The last brush that I would like to mention that stands out to me out of the Studio brushes that I have tried from e.l.f., thus far, is the e.l.f. Studio Angled Contour Brush. Again, I do not use this brush for its specified purpose. I have discovered that it is perfect for applying concealer to the under eye area! The round, flat, angled shape of this brush allows you to get right into the area below the eye, and buffs liquid concealer flawlessly into the skin. I also sometimes use it to apply concealer to other areas of my face when attempting to neutralize the discoloration of my skin. This brush is very soft and delicate on the area under the eye.

e.l.f. Studio Angled Contour Brush

To reiterate, the e.l.f. Studio brushes are soft, high quality brushes made of Synthetic Taklon hair. They are all-black brushes, which is a very sleek, professional-looking design, in my opinion. From my experience with them, they do not shed in any way whatsoever. They are relatively easy to clean, and once they are taken care of, I am pretty sure that they will last you quite a while. The only thing I can say about these brushes which is not a positive attribute is that the names on the brushes do tend to fade as they are printed and not engraved, but to me, that is a very minuscule consequence considering the price that you pay and the quality that is compensated for in every other way.

In this photo, you can see the name fading on one of my brushes.

Below are direct links to where these brushes may be purchased:                            



I really do hope that some of you give these brushes a try, and don’t disregard them simply because they seem like they won’t be good due to the price, as that is not the case at all! :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment